Tuesday, March 17, 2009

It's Boiling Time



Well the spare fridge is now stocked with 15 gallons of sap and the trees are being very kind with giving the sap so we started the boil process...mind you we are no large operation here....just 10 pails and a gas grill, but everyone likes to help..Jeremiah and dad get the sap Molly the dog,well she just likes to watch so at 11:30 sunday morning we are ready to start to boil I took 5 gallons of sap dumped it into the lobster pot turned on the grill, sat in the sun with my knitting..I had NO IDEA what was in store for the hours to come...at 12:30 Monday morning I could not take it any longer...I placed the less than 1/2 a gallon of syrup in a glass jar and went to bed...8:30 Monday morning I finished the first boil.. 5 gallons of sap produced a pint of very sweet syrup..

Another boil is in process as I type....I am cheating this time I am using thecook stove in the house with the windows open to help with the steam and the heat...Its going a lot quicker now that I kind of know what I am doing....

No comments: